Saturday, July 18 in Topeka, Kansas.
The Sunflower State Games is proud to announce a new event for 2015! The SGR2 (Sunflower State Games Gravel Road Race). Racers will tackle 95 miles of some the most scenic and challenging rural roads near Topeka, Kansas. A 45 mile “fun” ride will also be available for those just dipping their toe into the gravel riding waters.
This event will start and finish at the beautiful Kansas History Museum in Topeka. This is a supported race/ride with checkpoints for resupply and repairs. Riders will need their own support crew or can enlist the help of the Sunflower State Games for a nominal fee. Riders will be responsible for their own navigation as there will only be minimal course markings at critical junctures on the course. Registration details, maps and cue sheets for racers/riders/support crews as well as further rules/regulations can be found at sunflowergames.com.
Races will start at 06:30AM and 06:45AM respectively with a finish cut off time of 4:00PM. The Clubhouse Inn of Topeka will serve as race hotel with an early breakfast available for racers. It is conveniently located just 1.5 miles form the race’s start/finish area. Top 3 race finishers in their divisions will receive Medals and Merchandise.
Time: Registration/Check-in: 5:00 – 6:00 a.m. Open 95 Mile Race begins at 6:30 a.m. Beginner 45 Mile Race begins at 6:45 a.m. Race ends at 4:00 p.m.
Registration: Online registration opens March 1. For mail-in registration, download and print forms from the right column of this page. Online registration is strongly encouraged. Deadline: Friday, July 10. Day-of registrations accepted with a $5 late fee.
TShirts: Commemorative t-shirts will only be distributed to participants who register prior to July 10. T-shirts will not be available for late entries.
OPEN GRAVEL RACE – 95 MILES
|29 & Under||39 & Under|
|Singlespeed (male & female combined)|
|Tandem (male & female combined)|
BEGINNER FUN RIDE – 45 MILES
|Male||Medals to top three finishers|
|Female||Medals to top three finishers|
- Race will be held rain or shine. (barring severe weather).
- CPSC approved helmets must be warn by all participants while riding at any time during this event.
- Distances may change if weather conditions become severe.
- Commissioner reserves the right to combine divisions based on number of participants.
- Long course will have two SAG stops. Short course will have one SAG stop.
- Race end time is 4:00 p.m. (10 mph average)
- Click here for 95 Mile Open Race Course Map
- Click here for 45 Mile Beginner Fun Ride Course Map
- Click here for Support Crew Driving Map
- Click here for complete 2015 SSG Gravel Road Race Event Rules
- Water and Gatorade
- Energy bars and fresh fruit
- Pick-up from course in case of race abandonment
Discuss and share your questions or thoughts about this ride and others on the Riding Gravel Forum.