2019 Gravel Gobbler
November 2, 2019 @ 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Grinding gravel in November? Um, OK.
Grinding gravel in November from a brewery serving craft beer and gourmet food? OK, you’ve got my attention . . .
Grinding gravel in November for a great cause? Now THAT’s a winning combo!
Join the Mohawk Hudson Cycling Club for the Gravel Gobbler ride on Saturday, November 2nd, to benefit the Regional Food Bank of Northeastern New York. With two gravel rides of 22 and 38 miles, plus a road route of 31 miles, you’re sure to find the perfect loop. Pedal through the rolling countryside around Nassau, New York, and cruise quiet roads past farms, scenic vistas, and country estates.
Start and finish your ride at S&S Farm Brewery in Nassau. After you finish, enjoy a craft beer and great food selections from Gourmeli’s Taste food truck. Remember to bring some extra cash for your beer and food.
Registration is $25 per rider and is tax deductible. Plus S&S Farm Brewery also will also donate a portion of the evening’s receipts to the Food Bank.
About the rides
We have three great routes mapped out that show you the best of the local back roads. Join the fun and turn your pedals for good!
RWGPS 22-mile gravel route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28639057
RWGPS 38-mile gravel route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28604362
RWGPS 31-mile road route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26236062
About the Regional Food Bank
The Regional Food Bank of Northeastern New York proudly provides nutritious food year round to food pantries and other charitable agencies to feed hungry people in 23 counties in northeastern New York. Despite a solid economy, requests for emergency food have been steadily increasing, especially among the working poor. In fact, the working poor comprise the fastest growing segment of people in need of food assistance. Your tax-deductible donation to the Food Bank will help alleviate hunger in our Capital Region community and beyond.
About S&S Farm Brewery
S&S (Sanford and Sentz) Farm Brewery has grown from a small family farm that has been owned and operated by the Sanford family since the 1800s. Over the years, the farm has evolved from a multi-faceted production farm to a dairy, and now, to a farm brewery. S&S is currently in the process of growing its farm operation, as they are increasingly incorporating their own ingredients into their beer while continuing to support New York State farm businesses. The result? New York brewed beer with a taste that can’t be duplicated anywhere else! Visit them at http://sandsbrewery.com/blog/
The Ride Nitty Gritty
- Pace: All rides will have a group leader and the groups will stay together and regroup frequently. Gravel ride pace is 11-13 mph and for road, 13-15 mph. This is not a race to Hammertown!
- Bikes: Bring your gravel, cyclocross, mountain or hybrid bikes or road bikes with wider (28mm or so) tires.
- Safety: Rider safety is number one. Helmets are absolutely required. We also strongly suggest you wear high-viz kit and run a front light and daylight rear flasher.
- Sag: There ain’t none! So bring everything you need to get back to the start . . . tube, pump, cell phone, cash, etc.
- Advance Registration: Go to BikeReg.com and search for Gravel Gobbler
- Day-of-event registrations: Bring a check in the amount of $25 payable to the Regional Food Bank of Northeastern NY. We also will accept cash. We cannot accept credit cards for day-of-event registration.
- Weather: Are you kidding? It’s November! It might rain—or worse. No refunds, IOUs, rain checks, etc. Ride leaders make the final call on whether each ride loop occurs on Saturday and depends on weather conditions that day.
- Check In: Begins at noon at S&S Farm Brewery on Saturday, Nov. 17. The 38-mile gravel ride and 30-road ride begin at 1 p.m. sharp. The 22-mile gravel ride begins at 1:15 p.m. sharp. We want all riders back at the brewery by at least 4 p.m. as it gets dark by 4:30 p.m.